Friday, December 6, 2013

Beef Stroganoff

I happened to find this recipe online through Pinterest and decided to try it. I'm always looking for more recipes to add variety to our meals. When I found this recipe, I quickly read through it, mainly looking at the ingredients to determine if it would be a budget friendly recipe and sounded appetizing.

After deciding that it could be a great budget friendly, yummy and easy recipe I quickly pinned it and moved on to pinning other things. Later I had remembered finding the recipe and made sure I had all the ingredients on hand to make it for dinner. As I went to make it for dinner, I suddenly read that you were supposed to let it simmer on medium high heat for 1 1/2 hours, then add more ingredients and cook for an additional 45 minutes. I thought, "Ha! Whatever, that's totally unnecessary" and decided I would just simmer it for 30 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients and set the timer as it started to simmer. Within ten minutes all the liquid had cooked out or evaporated and the food was starting to stick to the bottom of the pan. I then decided to forget the rest of the 20 minutes of simmering and add the next step of ingredients. It turned out okay but it wasn't much of a sauce, so I added another 1/2 a cup of sour cream and 1 cup of milk. Voila! I cooked it for a couple more minutes and served it over cooked egg noodles. It was very good! My husband even liked it and he usually doesn't like beef stroganoff at all and was quite surprised it like it the recipe. So for the first time in my life I was able to modify a recipe and find it edible and even delicious! I was soo proud of myself! Anyways, here's the modified recipe so you can make it too. Picture below is from original recipe post online.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can mushrooms (4 oz), drained
1 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
3 TBSP flour
1 cup water
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
wide egg noodles

1. Brown ground beef in skillet and drain fat.
2. Add onion, and garlic and continue to cook until onion starts to brown.
3. Add mushrooms and water, stir.
4. Cover and cook, let simmer medium heat until liquid is cooked in.
5. Add sour cream, flour, and milk, stir, cover and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Boil noodles according to package directions and serve sauce over noodles. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment